Saturday 27 August 2011

A Ruby Day

Today is my Mum and Dad's 40th wedding anniversary. Their ruby anniversary.

I asked my Mum how she felt about it and she said that she doesn't even think of herself as 40 yet, so it seems impossible that she could have been married for 40 years.

They would die if I used their actual wedding photo, so let me recreate the scene for you.

My Mum was all Ice Queen with long, flared sleeves and a fur-lined hood.

My Dad was all Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka with a lot more facial hair and a little less top hat.

In their original photos there is a lot of hair and a lot of confetti. Also a lot of Mickey Mouse because the photographer took all the family and group snaps in front of a poster of him.

Their reception was at a Scout Hall and the food was Kentucky Fried Chicken (it wasn't called K F C in 1971 guys).

Mum and Dad don't wear wedding rings because "We know we're married" like serious hippies, but really because Mum stopped wearing hers after Dad lost his one day at the beach.

They are an awesome couple, and I could not have picked a better example of married life to grow up with.

Happy Anniversary Mum and Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment